- The Friday Food Bag Foundation works with educators and social workers from both LCSD #1 and LCSD #2 to deliver bags of nutritious, non-perishable food each Friday while school is in session to children who otherwise might not eat well, or at all, during the weekends.
- The cost per bag is about $5.00. Currently, for the 2016-2017 school year, the expense for an entire school year (807 bags per week – 37 weeks), plus five weeks of summer school (180 bags per week), is approximately $153,795 for 30,648 Friday Food Bags.
- Based upon results from childhood hunger programs in existence for a number of years, providing nutritious weekend meals for this at-risk population should not only alleviate their immediate hunger but improve their overall health and performance levels during the school week.
- All ordering, purchasing, unpacking and filling is done by volunteers. Food is purchased through JoEd Produce, a local business. Volunteers also deliver Friday Food Bags to the participating schools each week for distribution. High school students volunteer to fill and deliver bags for their own schools.
- Thanks to the generosity of the Element Church, the Foundation currently utilizes, without charge, a portion on the north side of their building to fill and store up to 2,100 bags per month.
- Current Board of Directors: Dan Dorsch-President, Eric Miller-Vice President, Ron Weickum-Treasurer, Sharon Gostovich-Secretary, Dayle Petrillo, Susann Robbins, Lisa Taylor, Judy Weickum, Jennifer Nelson, Joe Marek, Adam Edner and Leeds Pickering.
Donations may be sent to the address below or by clicking here.
Please make checks out to Friday Food Bag Foundation.
Friday Food Bag Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt foundation.
A message from the Board President
Hi there Food Bag Fans!!
Thank you for visiting our website. I hope you now know more about how we help students, their families, and our community by providing bags of food to the schools in LCSD#1 and LCSD#2. Unfortunately, there is a need for a program like the Friday Food Bag Foundation, not only in Laramie county, but around the state of Wyoming, and around the country. We are one of many similar programs that helps to improve the lives of students, fight hunger, and hopefully in some cases, begin to break the cycle of poverty. I am proud to be a part of such a great organization. An organization made great because of the dedication and commitment of its volunteers, who happily and readily give of their time and talents to make their community better, and change the lives of many. I am proud to be part of an amazing community who recognizes and understands that there are students in need, who are willing to give back, and support an organization like the Friday Food Bag Foundation. If you’re reading this as a volunteer or supporter, thank you for your passion, dedication, and continued support. If you’re just learning about the Friday Food Bag Foundation, I hope you find the inspiration, and the desire to get involved to change the lives of those in your community. Thank you for your time, and here’s to a healthier, stronger, better world.
Dan Dorsch, President, Board of Directors Friday Food Bag Foundation, February 2017
“When you share your last crust of bread with a beggar, you mustn’t behave as if you were throwing a bone to a dog. You must give humbly, and thank him for allowing you to have a part in his hunger.” Giovanni Guareschi